Thursday, October 29, 2009

Butternut Squash Risotto

I know what you're thinking. ENOUGH with the squash already! I can't help it, they were on sale so I got two. And having never purchased butternut squash before I was not aware that two would yield enough squash to get me through the end the of calendar year. Cheer up! I only have half a squash left. That's one, maybe two more recipes. Then I'll be on to the next flavor of the week. I'm a fickle mistress.


This recipe is, in a word, delish.

Here is what you will need:


4 cups vegetable broth
3 cups peeled cubed butternut squash,
3 tablespoons butter, divided
3/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives




So take your butternut beauty and peel her. Even though I have a decent vegetable peeler I was having a hard time with the thick skin, if you experience the same difficulty try this tip: Drop your whole squash into a pot of simmering water for about 3 minutes. Just enough to soften the skin, then you can peel and dice your squash with ease.





Remove the seeds and pulp and dice the squash into uniform bite sized pieces.




In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low. Add the butternut squash to the simmering broth and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the butternut squash to a side dish. Turn the heat on the broth down to very low and cover to keep warm.


Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender but not brown, about 3 minutes

Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the wine and simmer until the wine has almost completely evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition of the broth to absorb before adding the next, until the rice is tender but firm to the bite and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes total.



Gently stir in the butternut squash.







Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of salt




Brace yourself now, this is where it gets good.






Add the Parmesan and the butter. Ever so gently, fold together.





Hmmm. Do you know what this photo is missing? CHIVE. I made the rookie mistake of going to the grocery store that NEVER has fresh herbs in stock so my risotto is sans chive. Yet mouthwatering just the same. Don't forget the chive, but if you do don't apologize- no one will know- It's that good.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight and it was great. I was skeptical about leaving the squash in chunks (I had planned to smash it before I read your recipe) but it turns out the chunks were pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete