Thursday, May 27, 2010

Zucchini fries

Ok, I meant to post this years ago. Or maybe it was months? I cant remember but either way I made them forever ago and they were deceptively satisfying. If it weren't for the lack of melty mozzarella dangling from my chin I would have mistaken them for cheese sticks. almost.

These would be great as hors d'oeuvres at your memorial day party or just a super sneaky way to get some extra veggies into your tot.


3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks

1 large egg white
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese- get the good stuff, it matters.
cooking spray
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt
fresh pepper

Quick Marinara Sauce (1 cup)

1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and fresh pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 425°.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping.

Its zucchini season and if you're like me your looking for new and creative uses for all the zucchini you've got in your crisper! This fits the bill, Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am so making these for my picky boys (husband included) I'll let you know if they pass their test LOL

    ReplyDelete