Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed crisps.



Hello. My name is Lara and I have an enormous sweet-tooth. E. NOR. MUSS.

I am currently experiencing minor withdrawal symptoms as I have given up candy for lent.

AND dining out.

We've only just begun and I'm already feeling tortured. Of course it doesn't compare to the passion of Christ, but it IS my own personal suffering.

Anyway, Liam and I are home all day together and we usually end up making treats but today as I peered into the pantry the only sweet things I could find, to ease my suffering, were a 5 year old package of Jello pudding, (the kind you actually have to cook!) and a box mix for lemon poppy seed muffins.
The jello hit the bin but the muffin mix sparked a bit of creativity so I jumped online to see if I couldn't find some guidance (there is precise chemistry required with baking and I am not a chemist) and lo and behold the Lemon Poppyseed Crisp is born!


Here is what you will need:
(recipe adapted from Martha White)

1/4 cup Applesauce
1 TBSP butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 (7.6 oz.) package Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix


GLAZE
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons skim milk
dash of vanilla extract

This really couldn't be easier!
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine butter, applesauce 2 tablespoons sugar and milk in bowl; blend well. Add muffin mix until well blended. drop mixture by rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 6 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. While the cookies are cooling mix up the glaze to desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies.


People, listen to me: these are REALLY good. I was shocked. Go get yourself some muffin mix and give it a try.

I'm thinking these dolled up with pretty pastel glaze will be on our Easter menu. And Maybe by then I will have kicked the candy habit. Otherwise I'll be hitting Liam's basket for some damn robbin eggs and jelly beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment