Saturday, January 9, 2010

"Awesome Apple Crisp"

My husband is an apple crisp connoisseur. It is one of his three favorite desserts when its done right. So its rather convenient, for Chris, that one of his good friends owns a company that produces and sells an incredible apple crisp topping (not so convenient for me on the heels of my renewed focus explained here).

I may have mentioned it before but here's a little recap: Chris is from Rhinebeck NY. Which randomly happens to be some sort of weird hub for State Fair concessions. Chris grew up in Rhinebeck with Rick and Steph Winne who own one of these concession gigs. Just like our friend Rob, they travel from state fairs to horse shows to small craft festivals selling hot apple crisp. They do this in addition to regular, full time jobs; Rick is an insurance adjuster and Steph is in real estate. As if all that weren't enough, they decided to expand the business to local commercial markets and grocers selling the apple crisp recipe along with sweet potato crisp, pumpkin crisp and pear crisp in convenient, single serving packages in parts of the north east.

After a recent visit, when Rick and Steph returned home they sent down a couple of samples of their apple and sweet potato crisp. Today we threw one together and lets just say its good that I'm leaving for work soon lest my willpower waver.

If your are able to get your hands on it, here is what you'll need:

1 package awesome apple crisp
10 to 12 baking apples
2 sticks butter
1/4 cup water

This package makes 18 servings in a 9 by 13 baking dish!

The Winne's recommend using granny smith apples. We had a bag of organic Galas so thats what we're using.
Peel,

core,
and slice your apples. If you have one of these thing-a-ma-jiggies its makes the whole process a lot easier.
place all the apples in the baking dish with 1/4 cup of water

melt two sticks of butter
pour the package of crisp topping into a bowl


add the butter and combine

Topping!

now pour the crisp over the apples

and bake for 45 minutes

The aroma in this house is making my mouth water

and so is this!

Serve with ice cream and earn big points with your hubby! I see shopping in my near future...

2 comments:

  1. Ha I laughed when I read that it makes "18 servings" hmmm translation in my mind maybe "6 servings" LOL That wouldn't last a second in my house, I can fight chocolate...but apples and pumpkins I can not. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, 18 is a joke. I think we served up 6 servings each in one sitting! :)

    ReplyDelete