Friday, June 25, 2010

Huevos Rancheros

Dear Breakfast for Dinner,

I love you.

Lara.

Now that summer is here and we are, in the lovely state of North Carolina, reaching temperatures of 95 and higher, light dinners are in order. This is, by far, my most favorite egg dish... right now.

Ask me tomorrow and I might say my heart belongs to Eggs Benedict. But since I'm feeling the black bean, cilantro, salsa thing today, I love you, Huevos Rancheros.

You'll love it too, I'm confident!

Here is what you will need:

1 can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
1 green onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
eggs
tsp. evoo
shredded pepper jack cheese
salsa
sour cream
cilantro chopped
flour tortillas
a pinch or two of cumin and/or coriander
salt pepper-- to taste
a few dashes of hot sauce

We'll start by preparing our tortilla bowl. Pop a flour tortilla in the microwave for just a few seconds to get it warm and pliable.

Now, take your tortilla and shape it to the inside of an oven safe bowl. Be careful not to tear the tortilla.


Place the tortillas in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tortilla holds the "bowl" shape on its own.

In a sauce pan warm the black beans, green onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, cilantro, salt and pepper. This is where you add your hot sauce, texas pete for me. hold warm.

In a frying pan fry the eggs. I like mine over easy, runny yolk makes me a very happy girl.



Now to assemble:


A large spoonful of beans into the tortilla bowl
Top beans with shredded cheese

Top beans and cheese with yummy fried egg

Top fried egg with salsa, sour cream and cilantro!
(This makes my mouth water)

Since we've been boycotting factory farmed foods we've been eating significantly less meat. However, I wouldn't be opposed to picking up some sausage at our local co-op to cook with the beans. That would be lovely, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment