Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Boozy Bread Pudding

My husband's mother, Mousie, used to have a bread pudding recipe that everyone in their family talks about. In fact, one mothers day we featured it on the dessert menu at the restaurant and it was a big seller. Unfortunately I haven't been able to track down that recipe since she passed. So today I decided that I would just start making bread pudding for Chris with the hope of jogging his memory. I figured I might be able to, at least, come close through trial and error.
I have a few food blogs that I frequent and one in particular that is my "go to" site for recipes. I haven't been disappointed yet and this bread pudding recipe was no exception. Ree from
The Pioneer Woman Cooks calls this "Bread Pudding For Those Who Think They Don't Like Bread Pudding and whiskey cream sauce to boot." Which, I think, pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Here is what you will need:

2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 to 5 cups sourdough bread, cubed
1/3 cup pecans, chopped finely

Preheat oven to 350.

Now, I've got to admit when I saw that this recipe called for sourdough bread I was a bit skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE sourdough but I would never have thought to use it in a dessert recipe. This is why I do not have my own cookbook. It works so well. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.



To begin slice the bread into 1 inch cubes. If you have a lot left over you can freeze it for a later use.. Thanksgiving IS just around the corner!




Arrange the bread in a nine inch baking dish. You will want the cubes to be snug in the dish, but not crammed in there.



Now, in a large bowl lightly whisk two eggs



Add the melted butter (maybe I should mention that the melted butter should be cooled so as not to cook the egg).


then the TWO TABLESPOONS! of vanilla extract that you had to take out a second mortgage on your home to buy



and the milk




finally, the sugar. As you can see, I did not use a large bowl, which made whisking until the sugar dissolved a tedious task.





Once the sugar has dissolved pour the batter, if you will, over the bread cubes. Right about now youre thinking, "this can't be right, its way too much liquid!!" It is a lot, I know...

But keep pouring its not too much. Think about the extract, dont waste a drop!




Sprinkle the top with the pecans (pronounced "Puh-Kons", not "Pee-Cans")




And pop into the oven for about an hour.

When the bread pudding is about halfway through its cooking time you can prepare the sauce or as I call it, the Piece de Resistance:


You will need:

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of cream
1/4 cup of whiskey



Drop everything into a small saucepan and slowly bring to a boil.



Oh hey, lookie here. Its reaaady!



Is it ever.



Now for the boozy bliss



Drizzle, drizzle drizzle.



Though not my mother in law's, this bread pudding is all kinds of delicious and perfect for the holidays!

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome and toatlly crack me up! Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, ... sorry girl .. that looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete