Thursday, November 19, 2009

Quick and Easy Banana Bread

Its the most wonderful time of the year. They'll be parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting and caroling out in the snow... OK, strike that. I don't know ANYONE who toasts marshmallows on the yule log; what kind of tradition is that?? And I live in North Carolina so there certainly won't be any snow. Although Caroling out in the wintery mix just doesn't have the same ring to it.

From now until December 26th be prepared to be bombarded with holiday merriment. Its gonna come at you from all sides so just hunker down and bear with me. Fa la la la la, la la la la.


I've got a doozy of a holiday recipe for you: The best [expletive] Fruit Cake you've ever tasted.

I'm just kidding. I don't think I've ever actually eaten fruitcake. or known anyone, of my generation, who has. It just looks nasty.

I'm sorry if I've offended the fruitcake demographic.

To make up for it I'm going to appeal to the banana bread populace.

Here is what you will need:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed banana
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350.



Lets start with Butter and Sugar. A match made in heaven, (or a match survived by natural selection, if you prefer.) I prefer to use brown sugar in this recipe. But I didn't have any so I'm subbing plain Jane white sugar, which works just fine. Mix the butter and sugar.


Then add the flour, baking soda, salt and Cinnamon. Blend.

Add the eggs and the vanilla. Blend.



This is where it gets controversial. You may want to avert your eyes.


I happen to prefer a not quite ripe banana. That's just me. By all means if this offends your sensibilities- go with the rotten one you've got leaking on the bottom of your fruit bowl.

If you're using the overripe banana just peel it and drop it in. Otherwise, you'll want thin slices

which will make it easier to mash.

Add the banana and mix, mix ,mix. I think I let mine blend for a good 3 minutes.




Pour the batter into a well greased loaf pan and put it in the oven for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

HARK THE HERALD ANGELS SING!


GLORY TO BANANA BREAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment