Saturday, November 7, 2009

Simple Butternut Squash Soup

This is it. The final installment of the butternut squash trilogy. I'm sure you have been on the edge of your seat waiting. After days of wondering what to do with the last bit of butternut squash I decided on good old soup. Its one of Chris's favorites and something I can feed Liam as well.

Versatile is good. If it weren't for versatility I would be hugging my knees rocking in a corner somewhere.

But I'm not, I'm good and so is this soup so lets make it!

Here is what you will need:

2 butternut squash, seeded and diced.
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

This recipe makes about 6 servings.

Prepare the butternut squash


Drop into a pot of simmering water and cook until soft, about 20 minutes



Once the squash is soft drain the water and transfer the squash to a blender. If you have an immersion blender 1. I'm jealous and 2. you can do the following steps in the pot you cooked it in. Now add half of the chicken or vegetable broth.



Allow the squash to cool for at least 5 minutes. Make sure your blender is no more than halfway full. Release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.



Once smooth return squash to the pot, add the rest of the stock and honey.





This is my favorite part. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and ginger.



The cream makes it so pretty. Return to a low simmer.





Such a comforting soup. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment